NaNoWriMo is my favourite writing challenge of all time. Knowing that I can write fast, and LOVE IT has had the biggest impact on my life as an author.
Please try it yourself!
The resources in this post can help you achieve (or overachieve) your 50,000 word target…
If you’re preparing for National Novel Writing Month, or you’re in the thick of the action, I have some novel-saving writing resources for you!
A Month Before NaNoWriMo
- Follow the Preptober Calendar.
- Print out your Novel in a Month Notebook.
- Pick a plot formula.
- Make a list of things you love in stories.
- Learn How to Write a Novella.
- Want a plot formula template?
- No idea? Here’s 100.
- Get really excited about your idea.
- Have you chosen your genre?
A Week Before NaNoWriMo
- No time to plot? Here’s a ready-made outline!
- Learn how to plot your novel on one page.
- Take a quick worldbuilding workshop.
- You might like these tips on how to write fast.
- Brainstorm some ideas with a genre mindmap.
- Create a last-minute character.
- Still need a character name?
- Thinking of writing your novel in Google Docs?
- Need to (urgently) call upon your muse?
Track your progress using:
- Need help with your opening scene?
- Decide on your point of view.
- Choose your narrator wisely.
- Trying to figure out exactly how to write that scene?
- Design your own word crawl using sticky notes.
- Need help writing dialogue?
- Want more scene ideas?
- Not enough action?
- Are your characters trying to make a decision? Yes or No?
- Have you written your character into a corner?
- Time to give your antagonist some love.
- Develop your characters with these scenes.
- Desperate for more words?
- It’s hard, killing characters…
- Running out of writing ideas? Power up the idea engine.
- Are you stuck?
- More conflict!
- Is it time for a plot twist yet?
- Writing ‘The End’.
- Still need a title?
- Here’s an editing checklist you can use!
- Rate your scenes with Scene Charger (find this worksheet in The One Page Novel Workbook in the Coterie)
- Need a synopsis before you publish?