”At painful times, when composition is impossible and reading is not enough, grammars and dictionaries are excellent for distraction.” – Elizabeth Barrett-Browning
Grammars & Courses
- Latin for Beginners by Benjamin D’Ooge (& Answer Key) *
- Wheelock’s Latin by Frederic Wheelock
- Gildersleeve’s Latin Grammar by Basil Gildersleeve *
- New Latin Grammar by Charles E. Bennett *
My personal favourite. The ‘Word Formation’ chapter is useful for anyone coining mock-Latin.
- Rudiments of the Latin Tongue by Thomas Ruddiman *
- Nova sermonis latini palaestra by Arcadius Avellanus *
- Familia Romana (Lingua Latina) by Hans Henning Ørberg
Probably the best language book ever written. A brilliant example of the natural method.
- Adler’s Grammar (from Latinum.co.uk)*
- Ahn’s First Latin Course & Answer Key
- Ahn’s Second Latin Course & Answer Key
- LatinEdit * – a seriously amazing app for Latin transcription and Latin study.
- Downloebables & Loebolus *
- Ritchie’s Fabulae Facile (& commentaries) (& translations) *
- How to Speak Latin by Stephen W. Wilby *
Bilingual dialogues for schoolboys. Great for Q&A.
* available free